Vidrio is available!
See the website and the Mac App Store page! The review process was painless; I received the go-ahead about 8 hours after submitting Vidrio for review. I was expecting an arduous battle, considering the stories I’ve heard about the App Store review process.
So what’s next? There are several things I want to do. Here are the immediate term ones:
- Fix a bug: when switching to a differently-sized screen, e.g. through Airplay, the webcam overlay doesn’t resize. I need a second screen to test this!
- Pause/restart. I want to encourage the user to keep Vidrio running all the time.
- Remove the regular Vidrio taskbar. Vidrio should just be a menu bar app.
- Slider on the touch bar! Waiting for my new MacBook Pro at work so I can implement this …
- An introduction when first launching the app. Nothing tells you what the app is for. This can be accessed again via “About” section of the menu.
In the medium term, I want to promote Vidrio:
- An intro/promo video on the website.
- Better slides (not screenshots) in the App Store.
- Promote it on Product Hunt etc.
The longer-term plans:
- Slap a price on it, somehow.
- A Windows version! But I have no experience with Windows …
- (Experimental, probably silly) Gesture recognition. However, all the webcam gesture recognition examples I’ve seen are terrible. Perhaps this technology is too immature.
- The Grand Vision: Vidrio for screen sharing … I’ve described this plan to friends, but not in public. Maybe in a future post.