Vidrio should have a pause/unpause feature
I would like Vidrio to sit in the user’s menu bar all the time, even when they’re not using it. The UX argument for this is convenience - you don’t have to restart it. The selfish argument is awareness - I want the user to always have Vidrio visible.
The user can leave Vidrio on all the time at the moment. They can turn opacity down to 0%, at which point the program turns off the webcam. But the natural action is to quit the program, instead of turning down the opacity. I want to prompt the user to pause the program instead of quitting.
I’ve implemented this. There’s a bit of subtlety around storing the old opacity when setting it to 0%. An
enum type would help here.
More by Jim
- Project C-43: the lost origins of asymmetric crypto
- How Hacker News stays interesting
- My parents are Flat-Earthers
- The dots do matter: how to scam a Gmail user
- The sorry state of OpenSSL usability
- I hate telephones
- The Three Ts of Time, Thought and Typing: measuring cost on the web
- Granddad died today
- Your syntax highlighter is wrong
I wrote this because I'm working on simple features for Vidrio 1.1. This post is not associated with my employer. Found an error? Edit this page.