Vidrio marketing strategy
Vidrio so far has been a “soft launch”. I released it on the Mac App Store, created a website, and told some people at work. To date, I haven’t posted links to the site from anywhere. This has resulted in a few hundred downloads, and a grand total of 21 unique users visiting the site. Thus, nearly everyone is discovering the site through the Mac App Store. There’s a dribble of around 10 downloads per day. Does not look like exponential growth. So most people find Vidrio by browsing the Mac App Store. They don’t find Vidrio by word-of-mouth, or via the website.
At some point I need to change that and drive people to the app from elsewhere. I need to find the right places to promote it. In my bubble, there are:
I’ll curate this list as I think of others.
Before promoting Vidrio, I need to flesh out the website. Currently it really does not say at all what the product is.
I want to work out how to turn Vidrio into a viral marketing tool. The viral model fits Vidrio naturally: people see a presenter using Vidrio, think “that’s cool”, then go download it themselves. For this to happen, the viewer needs to find out that the program is Vidrio. There are a few ways this could happen …
- They ask the presenter; the presenter says “it’s called Vidrio”
- The overlay has a watermark saying “Made with Vidrio”. Need to be careful not to be super annoying. Removing the watermark could be a paid feature
- Presentations could end with a outro saying “Made with Vidrio” - but we don’t (yet) have control over the presentation/recording software
Vidrio Engineering https://vidr.io/engineering should be the Vidrio blog This is where relevant tech blog posts should go to increase traffic
NEEDS AN INFLUENCER.
More by Jim
- Project C-43: the lost origins of asymmetric crypto
- How Hacker News stays interesting
- My parents are Flat-Earthers
- The dots do matter: how to scam a Gmail user
- The sorry state of OpenSSL usability
- I hate telephones
- The Three Ts of Time, Thought and Typing: measuring cost on the web
- Granddad died today
- Your syntax highlighter is wrong
I wrote this because I'm working on Vidrio this month. As well as dev, it needs marketing. What's the strategy? This post is not associated with my employer. Found an error? Edit this page.