Orphaned file detection
How many old files in your repository could be removed without breaking anything?
A significant number, if your repository is non-trivial.
Humans are terrible at garbage collection,
because orphaning doesn’t break test suites and doesn’t show up in code review.
But how about if your CI process was able to tell you:
“This commit might have orphaned these files:
More by Jim
- The inception bar: a new phishing method
- The hacker hype cycle
- Project C-43: the lost origins of asymmetric crypto
- How Hacker News stays interesting
- My parents are Flat-Earthers
- The dots do matter: how to scam a Gmail user
- The sorry state of OpenSSL usability
- I hate telephones
- The Three Ts of Time, Thought and Typing: measuring cost on the web
- Granddad died today
- Your syntax highlighter is wrong
Tagged . All content copyright James Fisher 2014. This post is not associated with my employer. Found an error? Edit this page.