Orphaned file detection
How many old files in your repository could be removed without breaking anything?
A significant number, if your repository is non-trivial.
Humans are terrible at garbage collection,
because orphaning doesn’t break test suites and doesn’t show up in code review.
But how about if your CI process was able to tell you:
“This commit might have orphaned these files:
More by Jim
- Your syntax highlighter is wrong
- Granddad died today
- The Three Ts of Time, Thought and Typing: measuring cost on the web
- I hate telephones
- The sorry state of OpenSSL usability
- The dots do matter: how to scam a Gmail user
- My parents are Flat-Earthers
- How Hacker News stays interesting
- Project C-43: the lost origins of asymmetric crypto
- The hacker hype cycle
- The inception bar: a new phishing method
- Time is running out to catch COVID-19
- A probabilistic pub quiz for nerds
- Smear phishing: a new Android vulnerability
Tagged . All content copyright James Fisher 2014. This post is not associated with my employer. Found an error? Edit this page.