Understanding the ELF
I wrote an ELF binary which, when run, prints itself on standard output. It doesn’t “cheat” by reading its own file. Instead, it uses how ELF binary files are loaded into memory. To explain how the program works, I’ll show you it byte-by-byte. Along the way, we’ll learn about files, programs, the ELF format, and tools for working with these things.
More by Jim
- Project C-43: the lost origins of asymmetric crypto
- How Hacker News stays interesting
- My parents are Flat-Earthers
- The dots do matter: how to scam a Gmail user
- The sorry state of OpenSSL usability
- I hate telephones
- The Three Ts of Time, Thought and Typing: measuring cost on the web
- Granddad died today
- Your syntax highlighter is wrong
I wrote this because I felt like it. This post is not associated with my employer. Found an error? Edit this page.