static functions in C?
Basically, this is yet another meaning of
static. When you write
static preceding a function declaration, its meaning is “this function is only callable within this translation unit”.
A “translation unit” is the input which corresponds to an object file (
foo.o) as output. In C, this is usually a
foo.c file. Or more precisely, it’s the output after running the preprocessor on
More by Jim
- The inception bar: a new phishing method
- The hacker hype cycle
- Project C-43: the lost origins of asymmetric crypto
- How Hacker News stays interesting
- My parents are Flat-Earthers
- The dots do matter: how to scam a Gmail user
- The sorry state of OpenSSL usability
- I hate telephones
- The Three Ts of Time, Thought and Typing: measuring cost on the web
- Granddad died today
- Your syntax highlighter is wrong
Tagged . All content copyright James Fisher 2016. This post is not associated with my employer. Found an error? Edit this page.