Publication notifications for static sites
I have a new mini-project for this site: notifications about new pages. Here’s how it will work:
- This site will ask users for permission to display notifications.
- This site will install a service worker.
- The service worker will periodically check
/sitemap.xmlfor this site. It will store the last seen state. (This could also work with an RSS feed but I haven’t set one up.)
- When the service worker detects a new page in the sitemap, it will download it and extract some OpenGraph tags for it.
- The service worker will display a notification with the page title, image, etc.
I don’t even know if this is possible. But if I can make a purely static notifications system, it would be pretty cool.