Publication notifications for static sites
I have a new mini-project for this site: notifications about new pages. Here’s how it will work:
- This site will ask users for permission to display notifications.
- This site will install a service worker.
- The service worker will periodically check
/sitemap.xmlfor this site. It will store the last seen state. (This could also work with an RSS feed but I haven’t set one up.)
- When the service worker detects a new page in the sitemap, it will download it and extract some OpenGraph tags for it.
- The service worker will display a notification with the page title, image, etc.
I don’t even know if this is possible. But if I can make a purely static notifications system, it would be pretty cool.
More by Jim
- Your syntax highlighter is wrong
- Granddad died today
- The Three Ts of Time, Thought and Typing: measuring cost on the web
- I hate telephones
- The sorry state of OpenSSL usability
- The dots do matter: how to scam a Gmail user
- My parents are Flat-Earthers
- How Hacker News stays interesting
- Project C-43: the lost origins of asymmetric crypto
- The hacker hype cycle
- The inception bar: a new phishing method
- Time is running out to catch COVID-19
- A probabilistic pub quiz for nerds
- Smear phishing: a new Android vulnerability
Tagged . All content copyright James Fisher 2017. This post is not associated with my employer. Found an error? Edit this page.