Teetotalers are free riders
You’ll occasionally find teetotalers at bars and clubs. While you order a £5 pint, they order a lime soda at less than £1. As your mind slows and your speech slurs, theirs stays sharp and quick-witted. When, tomorrow, you wake up late and dehydrated, they’ll already be up and at work. And yet the teetotalers still have fun! They laugh and joke with everyone else. They play along with other people’s antics and badly considered karaoke. They make as many friends as everyone else, and remember them after.
Does this make you want to go teetotal? Then you are in the same class as industrial polluters and anti-vaxxers. Alcohol has many costs, and teetotalers pay none of these.
More by Jim
- Your syntax highlighter is wrong
- Granddad died today
- The Three Ts of Time, Thought and Typing: measuring cost on the web
- I hate telephones
- The sorry state of OpenSSL usability
- The dots do matter: how to scam a Gmail user
- My parents are Flat-Earthers
- How Hacker News stays interesting
- Project C-43: the lost origins of asymmetric crypto
- The hacker hype cycle
- The inception bar: a new phishing method
- Time is running out to catch COVID-19
- A probabilistic pub quiz for nerds
- Smear phishing: a new Android vulnerability
Tagged . All content copyright James Fisher 2017. This post is not associated with my employer. Found an error? Edit this page.