Teetotalers are free riders
You’ll occasionally find teetotalers at bars and clubs. While you order a £5 pint, they order a lime soda at less than £1. As your mind slows and your speech slurs, theirs stays sharp and quick-witted. When, tomorrow, you wake up late and dehydrated, they’ll already be up and at work. And yet the teetotalers still have fun! They laugh and joke with everyone else. They play along with other people’s antics and badly considered karaoke. They make as many friends as everyone else, and remember them after.
Does this make you want to go teetotal? Then you are in the same class as industrial polluters and anti-vaxxers. Alcohol has many costs, and teetotalers pay none of these.
More by Jim
- Time is running out to catch COVID-19
- The inception bar: a new phishing method
- The hacker hype cycle
- Project C-43: the lost origins of asymmetric crypto
- How Hacker News stays interesting
- My parents are Flat-Earthers
- The dots do matter: how to scam a Gmail user
- The sorry state of OpenSSL usability
- I hate telephones
- The Three Ts of Time, Thought and Typing: measuring cost on the web
- Granddad died today
- Your syntax highlighter is wrong
Tagged . All content copyright James Fisher 2017. This post is not associated with my employer. Found an error? Edit this page.