The only rule of blogging: buy the domain
Nothing else matters. It doesn’t matter what web framework - Wordpress, or the latest thing in Rust. It doesn’t matter who hosts it - S3, or your Raspberry Pi.
If you don’t own the domain, you don’t own the links.
If you don’t own the links, you don’t own the content.
You might in a legal sense
Over the last year, I’ve expended considerable effort to fix my past errors.
I used to blog on Medium. It used to be nice. Its black serif text on white background hinted at a simplicity that today is all but lost.
Do not confuse me for an NIH.
You might have content that you don’t think of as content. Old posts on Reddit. Move ‘em over. Example: phone screen brightness
More by Jim
- A probabilistic pub quiz for nerds
- Time is running out to catch COVID-19
- The inception bar: a new phishing method
- The hacker hype cycle
- Project C-43: the lost origins of asymmetric crypto
- How Hacker News stays interesting
- My parents are Flat-Earthers
- The dots do matter: how to scam a Gmail user
- The sorry state of OpenSSL usability
- I hate telephones
- The Three Ts of Time, Thought and Typing: measuring cost on the web
- Granddad died today
- Your syntax highlighter is wrong
Tagged . All content copyright James Fisher 2019. This post is not associated with my employer. Found an error? Edit this page.