Should I get a cleaner?
Today I booked a cleaner for my flat. When I last did this around 2014, I think Gumtree was the main source of cleaning jobs. Now a load of cleaning services have popped up which follow the Uber middleman pattern. Hassle says “All our independent London cleaners are self-employed”; they charge £12/hr. Handy similarly says they have “top-quality, pre-screened independent service professionals”. Housekeep pays its workers £8.50 per hour, and charges £12.50 per hour, and so takes about a 1/3 cut.
I’m not sure I like using these services, mainly because of the massive cut they take. But it sure is convenient, so I went with Handy.
More by Jim
- Your syntax highlighter is wrong
- Granddad died today
- The Three Ts of Time, Thought and Typing: measuring cost on the web
- I hate telephones
- The sorry state of OpenSSL usability
- The dots do matter: how to scam a Gmail user
- My parents are Flat-Earthers
- How Hacker News stays interesting
- Project C-43: the lost origins of asymmetric crypto
- The hacker hype cycle
- The inception bar: a new phishing method
- Time is running out to catch COVID-19
- A probabilistic pub quiz for nerds
- Smear phishing: a new Android vulnerability
Tagged . All content copyright James Fisher 2016. This post is not associated with my employer. Found an error? Edit this page.