Linking to external posts from Jekyll
I’d like this site to list all my public activity. Unfortunately, the web is a mess. To find my posts before late 2016, you have to scour Google. And in future I will surely write new posts on other platforms, such as professional blogs. I don’t want you and I to have to hunt for these posts.
Instead, I’ve set up an “external post” system here. This site uses Jekyll, and I can write post files like this:
--- title: "Low latency, large working set, and GHC’s garbage collector: pick two of three" external_url: "https://making.pusher.com/latency-working-set-ghc-gc-pick-two/" ---
When my homepage layout sees this post, it will link to the external site instead. Now you and I have a searchable list of all my posts, whether they’re published on this site or not.
In the coming weeks, I’ll be copying over links to posts from olden days.
More by Jim
- Project C-43: the lost origins of asymmetric crypto
- How Hacker News stays interesting
- My parents are Flat-Earthers
- The dots do matter: how to scam a Gmail user
- The sorry state of OpenSSL usability
- I hate telephones
- The Three Ts of Time, Thought and Typing: measuring cost on the web
- Granddad died today
- Your syntax highlighter is wrong
I wrote this because I felt like it. This post is not associated with my employer. Found an error? Edit this page.