How can I wake up earlier?
This ain’t just a tech blog. It’s a way to organize my life. One thing I’ve learned from my “blog every day” pledge is that the primary tool for life organization is daily routine. I don’t think mine is optimal, so today I’m re-thinking it.
There are four key numbers to my daily routine: wake, work, leave, sleep. Currently, they are:
wake work leave sleep 08:30 10:00 18:30 00:00
Here’s the routine visually:
What’s wrong with this routine?
- Too much sleep; not enough quality sleep. (Sleeping during daylight.)
- My morning routine omits essential elements (often breakfast).
- My lunch is significantly later than the normal working 12:30 lunch.
- I arrive at work too late, and leave work too late.
- It’s not aligned with the sun. It’s fundamentally aligned with work.
- I work long hours but don’t get much done in them.
I’m going to:
- Remove 60 minutes from the end of my work day. I don’t believe that time is productive; I do most work in the morning.
- Remove 30 minutes at the end of my sleep. I don’t believe it’s quality sleep (during daylight).
- Add 60 minutes to my morning routine.
- Add 30 minutes to my evening routine.
- Shift the entire routine so that my sleep ends around daybreak.
This gives me the key numbers:
wake work leave sleep 06:30 09:00 16:30 22:30
This can be represented visually:
I wrote this because I felt like it. This post is not associated with my employer. This site is hosted by Netlify (who are great, but I'm not associated with them either).